AlphaSorb® Composite Foam
AlphaSorb® Composite Foam combines a mass loaded sound barrier with layers of absorptive acoustic foam to double up on sound control. This composite foam combines a the one pound per square foot sound barrier between two layers of acoustical foam. Together, these layers both absorb, block and isolate mid to high frequency noise. This reduces the overall transmission of sound when constructing sound enclosures or partitions.
The thicker, one inch foam should face towards the source of the noise to absorb sound within the space. Then the barrier layer provides a sound blocking layer to lower sound transmission through the panel. Finally, the thinner melamine foam layer provides an airspace to decouple the panel from the surface to which it is mounted. Our composite foam is fiber-free, so you’ll have no handling issues. They are also easy to cut to any size and install. For further ease of installation, we offer a peel and stick (PSA) option. Just make the necessary field cuts, peel off the backing and stick the sheets to the substrate. Composite foam is the perfect choice for lining enclosures to reduce machine noise. To lower create an effective soundproof enclosure, all surfaces of the system, partition, box, wall or enclosure should be covered seamlessly.
NOTE: This product has been transitioned to a new manufacturing process. Material may vary slightly from previously ordered material.
- Reduces echo and reverberation
- Blocks sound transmission
- Reduce sound and noise from machinery
- Excellent choice for creating soundproof enclosures and partitions
- Improves overall acoustic quality, reduces stress and improves productivity
- Reduces the transmission of radiated noise through the walls of duct work or piping
Technical Information for AlphaSorb® Composite Foam
- Size: 2′ x 4′
- Thickness: 1-3/8″ (1.375″)
- Material: Open-cell melamine-based foam with 1 lb / sq ft mass loaded barrier septum
- 0.25″ acoustic foam decoupler + 0.125″ mass loaded vinyl + 1.0″ acoustic foam absorber
- Finish: Natural Grey, Natural White
- Optional Backing: Optional Peel and Stick (PSA) for vertical mounting
- Additional mechanical fasteners are required per application
- Natural Grey: 0.56 +/- 0.09 lb / cubic ft
- Natural White: 0.47 +/- 0.13 lb / cubic ft
- Service Temperature: -40 deg. F to 350 deg. F
- Fire Rating:
- Melamine Foam Core: Class 1 or A per ASTM E 84
- Mass Loaded Vinyl:
- MVSS302 Self Extinguishing
- Passes: UL 94-HF-1
- NRC: 0.75
- STC: 25
|Sound Absorption (Hz) per ASTM C423-90a|
|Sound Blocking Performance per ASTM E90-09a|
- These panels can easily mount to any wall or ceiling surface with water-based construction adhesive.
- Carefully make any cuts with a long blade utility knife or some type of reciprocating saw.
- Installation is best done at the end of the construction project.
- Use clean gloves to prevent soiling material.
- Melamine foam is fragile and should be handled with care.
- Maintain uniform temperature of minimum 60° F and maximum humidity of 40% prior to, during and after installation.
- Do not install material of unacceptable quality.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including to DINP known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.