OSI® SC-175 Acoustical Caulk
OSI® SC-175 Acoustical caulk is used to seals seams and gaps in an array of construction assemblies in order to prevent sound leakage. If air can pass through an assembly, so can sound! OSI® SC-175 Acoustical Caulk is a non-flammable, latex-based sealant specially designed to reduce sound transmission and drafts in all types of wall systems where a sound-rated assembly is required.
Its primary function is to achieve and maintain the specific STC (Sound Transmission Class) value of the system designed. The paintable sealant remains flexible and adheres firmly to wood, metal studs, concrete, gypsum board and most other building materials. The sealant cleans up easily with soap and water.
- Designed for use on sound rated wall systems
- Reduces draft & sound transmission
- Permanently flexible
- Easy application & clean up
- VOC Compliant
- Non-staining & non-migrating
- Size: 28 fl. oz. tube
- Color: White
- Appearance: Non-slumping paste
- Coverage: per one 28 fl. oz. cartridge (Note: yields shown are based on theoretical calculations, for comparison purposes, and will vary depending on ambient conditions and particular application.)
- A 1/4″ bead extrudes approximately 86 linear feet
- A 3/8″ bead extrudes approximately 38 linear feet
- Recommended for:
- Commercial construction utilizing light weight cavity walls and floor systems
- Office buildings, hotels, apartment complexes and other types of commercial and residential construction
- Exposed and unexposed applications at perimeter joints, floor and ceiling runners, cutouts in gypsum board, veneer plaster systems and other areas where a sound rated assembly is required
- Sealant can also be applied or buttered around all electrical boxes and outlets, cold air returns, heating and air conditioning ducts and other utility equipment penetrating wall surfaces for increased acoustical performance
- Works well for sealing sill and base plates in residential construction
- Not Recommend for:
- Underwater applications or permanent water immersion
- Applications requiring temperature resistance greater than 170°F (77°C)
- Use on mirrors and metals that will corrode
- Bonding two non-porous surfaces
- Polyethylene, polypropylene, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)/Teflon® or nylon
- Cement Board (Durock®)
- UL Classification R9732: UL 723
- Odor: Mild acrylic odor
- Specific Gravity: 1.589
- Flashpoint: 800.6 degrees Fahrenheit
- VOC Content: <1% by weight
- Freeze/Thaw Stability:
- 3 Freeze/Thaw Cycles
- Do not allow cartridge to freeze prior to use.
- Product is unaffected by freezing once installed.
- Application Temperature: Above 40 degrees Fahrenheit
- Shelf Life: 24 months from date of manufacture (unopened)
- Open/Tooling time: 15 Minutes (Time is dependent on temperature, humidity, porosity of substrate and depth of sealant applied.)
- Cure Time: 30 minutes (Time is dependent on temperature, humidity, porosity of substrate and depth of sealant applied.)
- Sag or Slump: 0.10 inch (per ASTM D2202)
- Cured Form: Non-flammable solid
- Service Temperature: -5°F (-21°C) to 170°F (77°C)
- Paintable: Yes, after 24 hours
- Surface Burning Characteristics (per ASTM E84):
- Flame Spread Index: 0
- Smoke Development: 0
- Sound Transmission Class (per ASTM 90):
- Unsealed partition: STC = 15
- Single bead of sealant used at top and bottom runners only on both sides of partition system:
- STC = 24
- Single bead of sealant used at top, bottom and perimeter joints on both sides of system:
- STC = 45
- Double Bead of Sealant used at top, bottom and all perimeter edges on both sides of partition system:
- STC = 55
- Low Temperature Flexibility After Artificial Weathering (per ASTM C734): Passes with no cracking or adhesion loss
- Consistency Test (per ASTM D217): 300
- Adhesion-in-Peel (per ASTM C794) 7 day cure @ 73°F & 7 day cure @ 122°F
- Aluminum: 10 pli
- Wood: 8 pli
- Specification – Tested to or conforms to:
- ASTM C834
- ASTM E84, Class A – Tested by NGC Testing Services
- ASTM E90
- ASTM C919
- ASTM D217
- GreenGuard® Certified
Use the following installation instructions as a general guide to avoid common errors. Installer should follow best practices for construction and workmanship. Acoustical Solutions bears no responsibility for installation or contractor selection. Please contact a sales representative if you have questions, concerns or specific project requirements. Do not commence installation until building is enclosed and under standard occupancy conditions, surfaces are of acceptable condition and properly prepared. Do not install materials of unacceptable quality.
- Typical Tools Required: Utility knife, caulking gun and tool to puncture inside seal of cartridge.
- Safety Precautions: Wear Protective Gloves
- Preparation: The temperature of the product, the surfaces and the working area must be above 40°F (4°C). For best performance, apply sealant at 70°F (21°C). Ensure surfaces to be sealed are clean, dry, structurally sound and free of dust, grease, oil, and other foreign contaminants. Cut off tip of cartridge at a 45° angle to desired bead size (3/8” recommended). Puncture inside seal of cartridge.
- Application: Apply sealant as specified in the sound-rated system being installed (either wood or metal studs). Maximum joint size should not exceed 5/8” (15.9 mm) x ½” (12.7 mm). If necessary, sealant can be painted as applicable to meet project requirements after 24 hours.
- Bottom and Top Runners: Apply a continuous 3/8” (9.5 mm) round bead of sealant on runners before setting gypsum board. Press gypsum board firmly into sealant, ensuring complete contact with adjacent materials. Fill joint on top runners to complete the seal. Repeat procedure for double-layer applications.
- Cut-Outs and Perimeter Joints: Backs of electrical boxes, pipes, duct systems and other types of utility equipment penetrating wall surfaces shall be buttered with sealant. Seal all joints at perimeter edges including abutting surfaces and corner joints. For further application information, refer to ASTM C919 – Standard Practice for Use of Sealants in Acoustical Applications.
- Clean Up: Clean tools and uncured adhesive residue immediately with warm water and soap. Cured sealant may be carefully cut away with a sharp-edged tool.
- Storage and Disposal: DAMAGED BY FREEZING. Store in a cool, dry location at room temperature. For maximum shelf life store at 75°F (24°C). Take unwanted product to an approved household hazardous waste transfer facility. Hardened material may be disposed of with trash.
- Label Precautions: CAUTION! Contains ethylene glycol, mineral spirits, and crystalline silica. May cause skin, eye and respiratory irritation. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Avoid breathing vapors. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not swallow. FIRST AID: If swallowed do not induce vomiting, call a physician or Poison Control center immediately. For eye contact, flush with water for 15 minutes, call a physician. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.