PrivacyShield® Soundproofing Composite Foam
For environments that demand both soundproofing and sound absorption, our PrivacyShield® Soundproofing Composite Foam is a true workhorse. This soundproofing foam (formerly called AlphaSorb® Composite Foam), combines a 1 lb. per sq. ft. sound barrier between two layers of acoustical foam. Unlike most acoustic foam products that are solely used reduce noise through sound absorption, PrivacyShield Soundproofing Composite Foam combines the sound isolation strength of a mass loaded sound barrier with layers of absorptive acoustic foam to double up on sound control. Together, these layers both absorb, block and isolate mid to high frequency noise. This reduces the overall transmission of sound when constructing sound enclosures or partitions.
The side of the product with the thick, 1 in. foam should face towards the source of the noise to absorb sound within the space. The thinner melamine foam layer on the backside provides an airspace to decouple the panel from the surface to which it is mounted for additional sound control. The final layer is the sound blocking barrier sandwiched between the two layers of foam to lower sound transmission through the panel. These panels are easy handle, cut and install. They are fiber-free and can be ordered with a peel and stick (PSA) option that can be applied directly to the substrate. Composite foam is the perfect choice for theaters, recording studios, meeting rooms, gyms, or lining enclosures to reduce machine noise. To create an effective soundproof enclosure, all surfaces of the system, partition, box, wall or enclosure should be covered seamlessly.
NOTE: This product has been transitioned to a new manufacturing process. Material may vary slightly from previously ordered material.
- Reduces echo and reverberation
- Blocks sound transmission
- Reduce sound and noise from machinery
- Excellent choice for creating soundproof enclosures and partitions
- Improves overall acoustic quality, reduces stress and improves productivity
- Reduces the transmission of radiated noise through the walls of duct work or piping
Technical Information for PrivacyShield® Soundproofing Composite Foam
- Size: 2′ x 4′
- Thickness: 1-3/8″ (1.375″)
- Material: Open-cell melamine-based foam with 1 lb / sq ft mass loaded barrier septum
- 0.25″ acoustic foam decoupler + 0.125″ mass loaded vinyl + 1.0″ acoustic foam absorber
- Finish: Natural Grey, Natural White
- Optional Backing: Optional Peel and Stick (PSA) for vertical mounting
- Additional mechanical fasteners are required per application
- Natural Grey: 0.56 +/- 0.09 lb / cubic ft
- Natural White: 0.47 +/- 0.13 lb / cubic ft
- Service Temperature: -40 deg. F to 350 deg. F
- Fire Rating:
- Melamine Foam Core: Class 1 or A per ASTM E 84
- Mass Loaded Vinyl:
- MVSS302 Self Extinguishing
- Passes: UL 94-HF-1
- NRC: 0.75
- STC: 25
|Sound Absorption (Hz) per ASTM C423-90a|
|Sound Blocking Performance per ASTM E90-09a|
- These panels can easily mount to any wall or ceiling surface with water-based construction adhesive.
- Carefully make any cuts with a long blade utility knife or some type of reciprocating saw.
- Installation is best done at the end of the construction project.
- Use clean gloves to prevent soiling material.
- Melamine foam is fragile and should be handled with care.
- Maintain uniform temperature of minimum 60° F and maximum humidity of 40% prior to, during and after installation.
- Do not install material of unacceptable quality.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including to DINP known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.