AudioSeal® Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) Soundproofing Barrier
AudioSeal® MLV Soundproofing Barrier is an environmentally-safe mass loaded vinyl. It is very dense, weighing 0.6 to two pounds per square foot, and used to reduce the amount of airborne sound transmitting through walls, floors, and ceilings. It can be added to various construction assemblies to increase the STC (Sound Transmission Class) of the structure. This product is non-reinforced for wall and ceiling installations. It is commonly used in new construction when sound control is a requirement, or in renovations to correct noise problems in existing spaces.
Unlike PVC MLV, which emits VOCs as it hardens over time, AudioSeal® MLV Soundproofing Barrier is non-toxic. It is made from POE (polyolefin elastomer) which does not contain plasticizers or unsafe chemicals and doesn’t pose a health risk if it’s burned. AudioSeal® MLV Soundproofing Barrier is 100% recyclable and qualifies for LEED credits.
AudioSeal® is tear-resistant, yet easy to cut with a utility knife. Usually installed direct to the studs, sound barrier may also be installed between layers of drywall. Often, mass loaded barrier is used in combination with other materials for robust soundproofing. Combining MLV with layers of sheetrock, Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound, and resilient clips and channels improves the sound transmission class of the complete assembly. Our product is available in 10′, 15′, and 30′ lengths and either 48″ or 54″ widths to provide the best utilization for your project.
- This product is not recommended for permanent exterior installation where exposed directly to ultraviolet light (sunlight).
- We recommend using seam tapes incorporating acrylic adhesives with this product. A suitable product is T-Rex Duct Tape, available at many hardware, big box, and building supply stores.
Technical Information for AudioSeal® MLV Soundproofing Barrier
- Roll Widths: 48″, 54″
- Roll Lengths: Various lengths up to 30′
- Thickness: 1/16″ (0.6 lb/ / sq. ft.), 1/8″ (1 lb. / sq. ft.), 1/4″ (2 lb. / sq. ft.)
- Color: Black
- Sold by: The Roll
- Type: Non-reinforced
- Weight: 0.6lb. / sq. ft. (1/16″), 1 lb. / sq. ft. (1/8″), 2 lb. / sq. ft. (1/4″)
- Tear Strength: 70 PSI
- Working Temperature: 32 deg. F to 150 deg. F
- Ultimate Elongation: 110%
- STC: 22, 26, 32
|Sound Transmission Loss (Hz)
|0.6 lb. / sq. ft.||9||14||17||23||28||32||22|
|1 lb. / sq. ft.||14||16||21||27||29||47||26|
|2 lb. / sq. ft.||16||22||26||32||35||40||32|
Additional Stock Locations
In addition to shipping direct to you, AudioSeal® is also available for local pick up or delivery at the following additional locations. Call for delivery/pick-up arrangements and pricing.
- Metropolitan Lumber and Hardware Manhattan, NY (11th Avenue) 212-246-9090
- Marjam Supply Brooklyn, NY 718-388-6465